Two VHS students to receive Toad Suck scholarship
From the desk of VHS counselor Jolene Sanders: Two VHS students will be receiving the ToadSuck Daze Scholarship. This is a great scholarship. Out of the seven awarded, two were VHS students. I am very proud of these young ladies.
In 2017, a total of $65,000 will go to education initiatives. This includes donations to Arkansas Preschool Plus, University of Arkansas Community College at Morrilton, Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre, Conway Symphony Orchestra, Red Curtain Theatre, and Blackbird Academy.
2017 TOAD SUCK DAZE COMMUNITY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS ARE:
Alli Bonnema, Vilonia
Abby Smith, Vilonia
The Toad Suck Daze Community Service Scholarship was established to foster an opportunity for civic responsibility, education, outreach and community growth among Faulkner County youth.
- Applicant must be a graduate of a Faulkner County high school, homeschooled and living within a Faulkner County school district, or currently enrolled at CBC, Hendrix, UCA, Pulaski Tech, or UACCM having had graduated from a Faulkner County high school.
- Applicant must attend CBC, Hendrix, UCA, Pulaski Tech, or UACCM during the upcoming Fall Term.
- Applicant must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, based on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must show proof of completing at least 20 hours of volunteer service while in high school.
- Applicant must submit a one-page essay describing the volunteer service contributed to the community, how and why it benefited the community, and what was learned.
- Applicant must include three letters of recommendation: one from a supervisor where applicant provided volunteer service, one from a teacher or other education professional, and one of the applicant’s choosing.
- Applicant should demonstrate financial need.
- Scholarship recipients must complete 12 hours of volunteer service at the Toad Suck Daze festival this year.